IMPORTANT DELEGATE INFORMATION
We are very much looking forward to seeing you all in Melbourne for the IAG/NZGS conference in Melbourne in just a week's time. This email provides details on the conference that you will find useful. The information is chronological – from when you arrive in Melbourne. The information will also be uploaded to the website, and any additions or clarifications will also be posted there.
If you have booked accommodation at the University colleges (Trinity and University College), then we will be in touch with you in a couple of days with maps, and with details for getting your keys.
For all postgraduates and contributors to the postgrad day (Sunday June 29th), this is located at 221 Bouverie Street (just South of the main Melbourne campus & Across from Lincoln Square). It begins at 10:00am, with tea and networking, followed by presentations, Lunch, and a second set of short presentations. Participants will then be free to explore the city, though there will be informal nibbles at The Last Jar (http://www.thelastjar.com.au) from 5:00 – 7:00.
The conference registration desk is at the foyer of the Old Arts building.
All delegates must present at the registration desk to confirm attendance and pick up their name badge and lanyard. This must be worn at all times during the conference.
The desk will be open for delegates to register on site:
- Sunday 4:00pm to 6:00pm
- Monday 7:30am until 5:00pm
- Tuesday 7:30am until 2:00pm
- Wednesday 8:00am until conference close.
When at the conference, if you have any queries or problems, please go to the registration desk for help.
- All powerpoint presentations will be loaded onto the computer (from a USB data stick (i.e. memory stick, flash drive) in the room/theatre that you are presenting in. So you need to check the program for when and where you will be speaking, find the room on the map that you have been provided with, and go and load your talk.
- You can do this at any time before your talk (you will see where to plug in the USB stick, and you will see a folder on the desktop for your session – just pop it in there). However, the best time to load it up is in the 15 minutes before your session starts. All sessions are preceded by either morning or afternoon tea, or lunch. Your session chair (the person who proposed the session and who will keep time and facilitate questions) will be in the room for you 15 minutes before your session is due to start. This should give everyone an opportunity to meet the session chair. Please don't leave this to the last minute.
- If you have videos, or any special requirements for your talk, please mention this to somebody at the registration desk as early as possible so that we can make sure that everything is in order. Although internet connection is available, it is strongly recommended that all video and sound files are embedded in the presentation to ensure seamless presentation.
- As you know, standard paper presentations are allocated 14 minutes, meaning that there is very little time to organise before the first presenter must begin. There will be student volunteers helping with computer issues, but presenters are responsible for ensuring that their talk is loaded with plenty of time.
The conference “App” will provide all conference information. The app can be downloaded by clicking on this address - http://iag-nzgs-2014.m.asnevents.com.au/ - There will be a small number of printed programs at the registration booth, and a few maps, but attendees are reminded that this is a paper-free conference.
The program Monday is very full, ending with panel sessions. Once you have survived the day, you can unwind with well-earned wine and cheese at the "First day mixer", from 6:00pm to 7:00pm in the Arts Hall (this is where the lunches are served).
We have not organized any dinner on Monday night in order to give you a chance to sample the lovely restaurants of Lygon Street (<10 minutes walk to the east of the campus) or Melbourne Central (<10 minutes South). We can provide suggestions for the restaurants, but you can't wrong just wandering in either direction.
The field trip will leave at 12:30 on Tuesday the 1st of July. The pickup (and drop-off) point will be at the west end of Monash Drive on the eastern side of Wilson Hall (please confirm that you will attend the field trip when you register, and they will help you find where to meet the buses). The trip will be travelling up the Yarra Valley to the outskirts of Melbourne (we will be visiting Dights Falls, Kellybrook Winery, and Pound Bend). Please make sure that you bring warm clothes, wet-weather gear, and sensible shoes.
Tuesday Afternoon activities
Tuesday afternoon (after 1pm) has been set aside for a wide range of activities. The Heads of Geography Programs from around Australia will be taking the opportunity to have their annual meeting. The venue for this meeting will be confirmed.
Please feel free to organize a special session with like-minded colleagues on the Tuesday afternoon. If you would like to do so, just let them know at the registration desk, and we can find a room – although it would probably be more enjoyable to have your discussion in a café in Lygon Street or any of the many nearby cafes.
Mentors and mentees are also encouraged to use this time to meet. It is a rare opportunity to meet with geographers from other institutions and at other career stages. Please make the most of the time and opportunities.
David O’Sullivan will be offering a GIS workshop during this period. Please contact the registration desk for details and arrangements.
Sunday 29th June informal for early arrivals (5:00 – 7:00)
Drinks for early arrival: The Last Jar (http://www.thelastjar.com.au).
Monday 30th June
First day mixer, 6:00pm to 7:00pm wine and cheese in the Arts Hall.
Tuesday 1st July
Conference dinner in the Queens Hall, Victorian State Library Drinks start at 6:00, dinner from 6.30 to 10:00pm (dress is neat casual).
Wednesday 2nd July
Farewell drinks. Starting from 4pm (venue to be announced).
(IMPORTANT NOTE – PLEASE READ)
The conference dinner is included as part of all full registrations and dress is casual. If you are unable to attend the dinner please let us know by return email. Anyone cancelling dinner before Thursday will receive a $50 refund of your conference registration fee. Unfortunately, notification after Thursday for non-attendance cannot entitle delegates to a refund fee due to the venue requirements. We appreciate your help with this as it will assist us in planning the dinner and eliminating waste.
If you have any queries regarding any aspect of the conference please do not hesitate to contact the secretariat:
Simon on 03 5983 2400 or onsite 0414 593 706 – email@example.com